Ayurveda is a science of Life which is clearly defined by its name itself Ayur means life and Veda means Science. Ayurveda is an ancient holistic medicinal system developed from kitchen only. All the spices and herbs we use in cooking are medicines for one or the other diseases or problems. Turmeric one of the ancient culinary spices which we use in daily cooking has a history as a medicinal herb. None of the vegetable curries we prepare today are made without the herbs and spices and to give it a presentable look turmeric is used. Turmeric has many health benefits and that is the main reason why our all dishes have turmeric as one of the ingredient. It is not only used in food but also used as a cosmetic for skin treatments.
There are numerous health benefits which we can obtain from turmeric which acts as a defense mechanism against diseases and infections
• Turmeric has many medicinal compounds present in it from which one of them is Curcumin which acts as an anti-inflammatory, which helps body in fighting foreign invaders and protects the body from any virus or bacteria and also acts as an anti-oxidant which protects our body from radical like aging.
• Turmeric is a fat soluble substance so it would be beneficial to have with any fatty meal.
• It improves brain functions and even lowers the mind stress and helps against brain diseases like tumor, Alzheimer’s, brain disorder. It even helps the newborn and children in brain development and growth.
• The medicinal herb Curcumin helps in improving the function of Endothelium- which is the interior surface lining of blood vessels and thus prevents from heart diseases.
• Cancer the most uncontrollable and terrible disease also can be treated through Turmeric. The Curcumin present in turmeric can prevent the multiplication of cancerous cell if known in the early stages.
• Arthritis the disease of joints can be cured with turmeric
• Turmeric also acts as antidepressant. Depression is linked with shrinking of Hippocampus which can be treated as well.
• The diseases like small pox and chicken pox also can be cured with the help of Turmeric.
• It is used for healing the wound and prevent blood from flowing away. It is also used for urinal infection throat infection, conjunctivitis, liver problems, kidney problems etc.
• It is used as an antiseptic for better digestion, for reliving gas etc.
• Turmeric is even used in some rituals like marriage rituals for the bride and the groom turmeric is applied as a skin ailment.
• It is even a well-documented treatment for respiratory disease like asthma, cough allergy etc.
• By taking one spoon of turmeric powder daily can cure diabetes.
• It even helps to lower cholesterol.
In this modern lifestyle the food that we intake should have turmeric in one or the other form to stay healthy and young. Some of the recipes which can be made using this essential herb are
1) Iced turmeric Tea: instead of drinking plain green tea in morning or lemon iced tea. One can add a teaspoon of Turmeric powder and basil leaves would act as an healthy ailment.
2) Turmeric Milk: Milk with a spoonful of turmeric added to eat and crushed ginger to the milk can act as wonders for sore throat and tonsils.
3) Turmeric Egg Bhurji (Spicy Scrambled Egg): Eggs itself are very good for breakfast but when you add turmeric to it then it would act as a medicine too.
4) Used in vegetable curries: it is used while preparing vegetable and is added at the beginning of the recipe and allowed to sauté with the vegetables so the fat is dissolved from the vegetables.
5) Turmeric with Honey: This mixture is mainly taken during cough and cold for throat relaxation.
6) Turmeric with Chickpea Flour: it is used as a face pack as an anti-aging pack.
Thus Turmeric is also a medical boon to us rather than just a herb to be used in cooking meals.