“It is truly said “You never appreciate life until it grows inside of you”.
The most beautiful chapter in a woman’s life starts when she gets pregnant. Everyone pampers her like a little baby and she gets all the attention and love from her family and friends. She gets to eat whatever she wants regardless of the quantity of her intake. Well, it is as pretty as it sounds, but this pampering comes with a side effect that can be clearly seen after pregnancy and that is ‘being overweight’.
After pregnancy the very first thing that enters into a woman’s mind is that, how to get back into shape? How to remove the belly fat? As it doesn’t only not look good, but also being fat is home to diseases.
So the best way to overcome this issue is by opting for Ayurvedic ways. Ayurveda does not have any side effects and also it lasts for a long time. Although it takes time for the results to be seen, but a fast weight loss especially after pregnancy is never recommended.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Weight Loss Post Pregnancy:
1) Cinnamon, Clove Water: Take 1 cinnamon (Daalchini) stick (3 inches long) and 3 cloves (laung) and boil them for 10 minutes in approximately 2 litres of water. To enhance its taste, you can also add honey. It needs to be taken lukewarm in winter and cold in summer.
2) Fenugreek (Methi) Seeds Water: The bitter tasting methi seeds are the best fat burners and they also throw out toxins from our bodies. It regulates female hormones, treats ladies with reproductive disorders and gives a flat belly.
To have it you need to soak 1 tablespoon of these seeds into 2 litres of water overnight. In the morning boil it for 5 – 10 minutes and take it lukewarm in winter and cold in summer. It can be used to drink instead of plain water especially during the 1st 40 days post pregnancy.
3) Almonds, Currants (Munaqa): Grind 10 almond kernels with 10 deseeded currants and make a paste of it. Take it with hot milk if you had a normal delivery.
Almonds are very good for health and work as a very good beauty enhancer and belly reducer as they contain minerals like manganese, copper, potassium, zinc and calcium. They are also rich in fiber, carbohydrates, vitamin E and B12.
4) Smoothie in Breakfast: This particular smoothie is very nutritious and can be consumed in breakfast daily. Recipe for this nutritious smoothie is – ¼ tsp Nutmeg (Jiafal), ½ cup milk, ½ tsp Tarmarind pulp, Mace (Javitri) powder, 1 tsp orange juice, ½ cup Greek yogurt, 1 fig (Anjeer), 1 palm date and 1 tsp Amla powder. Put these all in a blender and your smoothie is ready.
5) Nuts, Turmeric, Milk: After normal delivery, you can drink the nuts, turmeric milk; as all types of seeds, dry fruits, milk and nuts are really good for health of the uterus. Nuts have fibre in them which help the uterus wall to strengthen and also helps reduce the belly. In addition to that, to purify the breast milk, women should be given turmeric powder for around 6 weeks post pregnancy (with milk or with food)
Recipe for the same is – Grind properly 250 gm dried coconut (Khushak Nariyal), 250 gm dried dates (Chohara), 250 gm Raisins, 250 gm Pistas and Almond kernels (Badaam Giri). Also add 250 gm seed kernels of pumpkin, gourd, melon and water melon.
Fry 2 tsp turmeric in melted desi ghee for 1 – 2 minutes. Fry 2 – 3 tsp of dry fruits mixture on low flame for 1 -2 minutes. Then add 1 and a ½ cups of milk to it and boil it 4 to 5 times.
Take it lukewarm for the 1st 20 days post pregnancy (preferably as breakfast).
Few General Tips to Reduce Weight Post Pregnancy:
1) You should consume freshly cooked food only
2) Try to have as much seasonal vegetables as you can
3) Eat more and more fresh fruits
4) Chew your food properly
5) Regularly do some exercises
6) Do yoga asanas
If you did not have normal delivery, then do ask your doctor before starting any routine as doctor will be able to tell you better, seeing your body’s response, the exercises and yoga asanas that are to be followed.