Amit Ray, the famous Indian Author and spiritual master writes in his book Yoga and Vipassana : An Integrated Life Style, “Yoga is not a religion. It is a science, science of well-being, science of youthfulness, science of integrating body, mind and soul”.
Yoga is a piece of holistic baggage. It brings the mind, body, and breath on the same platform. By adopting and practicing as a part of everyday routine, one can actually feel the difference -mentally, physically as well as spiritually. And wait, not just these, Yoga has an added bonus too. It helps in shedding those extra pounds as well.
Yes, you read it right. Yoga is a great way to fight with your stubborn fat stores and get you into the perfect shape which you wish almost every time you look yourself in the mirror or dropped the idea of buying clothes of your choice because of those few extra inches. And guess what? You do not need to burn a hole in the pocket for this. All you need is comfortable cloth and a Yoga mat to start off on your weight loss journey.
But, before I start writing here the various tips to lose weight through Yoga asanas, it is important to understand the reasons of why do we gain weight? Stress, high toxicity, genetics, next to no physical exertions, over eating, medical reasons, are some of the reasons for weight gain. Yoga has some of the most basic breathing practices. It’s basic element lies in the fact that it emphasizes on cleaning, balancing and revitalize our organs. Metabolic and heart rates improve substantially with the help of some basic asanas. Once the body is healed from within, the focus then shifts towards the outer body. How does it help?
Research show that yoga brings down the levels of stress hormones as well as increases insulin sensitivity – an indicator that the body needs to burn food as fuel instead of storing it as fat. It also stimulates the liver by purifying the blood and flushes out harmful chemicals and toxins, activate internal heat, get the heart rate up and maintain the right pH of the body. All these functions of Yoga help in eliminating the bad fats from the body and put the good fats to use. Below are the 5 best and easy Yoga Poses to reduce body fat:
#1) SETU BANDH (BRIDGE POSE) Steps to do it?
• Lie on your back.
• Crease your knees and keep your feet hip separated. Keep knees and ankles in a straight line.
• Keep your arms alongside the body with your palms flat down.
• Delicately breathe in, and gradually lift your back.
• Bring in your shoulders and touch the mid-section with your jaw, without bringing down your chin.
The heaviness of your body ought to be bolstered with your shoulders, arms, and feet.
• Your thighs should be parallel to each other on the floor.
• Continue breathing slowly.
• Hold the position for a few minutes, and then go back to the starting position while breathing out.
#2) BHEKASANA (FROG POSE) Steps to do it?
• Lie down flat with the support of your belly.
• Get your hands back and attempt to grasp your feet as you curve your knees upwards.
• Breathe in, lift your mid-section, and press your shoulders towards each other.
• Make sure that your heals are touching your hips, and keep on holding your feet by the toes.
• Hold this position for about 60 seconds and gradually return to the initial position.
#3) ARDHA MATSYENDRASANA (HALF FISH POSE) Steps to do it?
• Sit on the floor keeping your legs stretched out.
• Twisting your knees, put your feet on the floor. Slip your left foot under your right leg.
• Ensure that the exterior portion of your left leg is on the floor.
• Put your right foot on your left leg. Let it remain on the place outside your left hip.
• Squeezing your right hand against the region behind your right side of your hip, put your right upper arm on your right thigh.
• Breathe out, and roll to the inward side of your right thigh.
• Remain in this position for around 30 seconds, and after that resort back to the original position.
• Repeat on the other side.
#4) NAUKA CHALAN (BOAT POSE) Steps to do it?
• Sit on the floor with your legs stretched straight in front you. Put your hands on the floor somewhat behind, with the fingers pointing towards your feet.
• Rise up through your sternum and relax minutely.
• Continue extending the front of your midsection.
• While breathing out, bend your knees, and lift your feet off the floor. Ensure that your thighs make a point of 45 degrees with the floor.
• Stretch your arms alongside your legs parallel on the floor.
• Attempt to keep up with this position for about 20 seconds. Return to the initial position.
#5) SHIRSHANA (HEADSTAND) Steps to do it?
• As you inhale, lift your knees off the floor. Keep your feet close to that of your elbows, while keeping your heels raised.
• Lift via your top thighs, tighten your shoulder bones, and lift your feet far from the floor. Guarantee you take both your feet up in the meantime.
•Tighten your tail bone as the legs ascend to wind up perpendicular to the floor.
• Thrust your heels pointing towards the ceiling.
• Firm your external arms inwards and mollify your fingers. Keep your weight equitably adjusted on both the lower arms.
The above Asanas not just help you with shedding those extra pounds but a great way to make your skin glowing too. Always remember to practice the above asanas in an empty stomach. It is also recommended to chant ‘Om’ 11 times loudly. The vibrations that it creates help in keeping the body rejuvenated throughout the day and gives a pleasant feeling. Happy practicing!