Winter is season with icy weather, dropped temperature, making our body home to cold, flu and other allergies. Winter is time of transition for climate and nature as it falls between autumn and spring. During winter we all love to be inside cozy blanket, stay lazy and it becomes difficult to stay energetic and fit. Diet plays an important role in this season to keep your warm and energetic.
Here are 10 best foods to consume during winter to stay warm, energetic and fit.
They are considered Jewels of Winter and one can consume it raw or in form of juice. Pomegranates are full of antioxidants, potassium, iron and vitamin C. Antioxidants in pomegranates prevent free radicals from oxidizing bad cholesterol which contributes to the plaque formation in arteries. They are high in fiber content which helps in fighting against cardiovascular diseases. Pomegranate juice is good for person suffering from anemia.
2) Red Bell Peppers:
Red Bell Peppers contains more vitamin C then citrus fruits. Vitamin C helps fight against various diseases and allergies boosting immune system.
3) Brussels sprouts:
They are low in calories but provides loads of nutrients and prevents damaging of cells. They contains cancer fighting antioxidants like various cruciferous veggies and protects DNA against oxidative damage. Just half cup of it provides you with daily recommended amount of Vitamin C.
4) Dark Green Leafy vegetables: These vegetables are rich in Vitamin A, C & K and various minerals. They are low in calories and can be combined with any food dish. Kale & collard aids digestion and helps in lowering cholesterol.
5) Fennel: Eating Fennel regularly increases body resistance against various infectious diseases as they are rich in Vitamin C. They aids functioning of White Blood Cells, which destroys various Bacteria and Viruses thus protecting you from cold and flu.
6) Oranges: Oranges are loaded with flavonoids, anthocyanin’s and Vitamin C. Hesperidin, a predominant flavonoid boost HDL, a good cholesterol and lowers LDL, a bad cholesterol. Eating oranges and other citrus fruits keeps our skin smooth and heart healthy.
7) Sweet Potatoes: A most versatile tuber loaded with beta-carotene, antioxidants, Vitamin A, C and fibers. Consuming sweet potatoes helps in improving cell functioning and as being low on glycemic index, one can eat without worry of weight gain.
8) Winter Squash: They comes in many different varieties, acorn, spaghetti squash, butternut and delicate and all are excellent. Low in calories but full of Vitamin A, B6, K, C, potassium and folate.
9) Parsnips: They are nutritious root veggies loaded with potassium, folate, fibers and Vitamin C and looks alike of carrot. Like carrots, they go well with any winter soups, salads or stews. Parsnips are also low in calories but are highly nutritious.
10) Radicchio: Looks compact like Red cabbage but are lot different in both tastes and nutritional values. Radicchio leaves are tenderer than Red Cabbage. One can eat Radicchio raw in form of salads or in form of pizza toppings or grilled. Radicchio leaves are bitter and slightly spicy in tastes, low in calories and loaded with magnesium, potassium, Vitamin C and K.
Hope by adding this food items to your daily diet keeps you warm and healthy during icy weather this winter.